Student members of the T. F. Torrance Theological Fellowship: Please send us a title or description of your dissertation or thesis project to post here, along with a link to your professional website. The Fellowship aims to assist student members whose dissertation or thesis projects utilize the works of the Torrance brothers in any significant way (not necessarily about the Torrances per se). We encourage you to complete a Member Profile as well, to aid other members who may wish to contact you or learn more about your project.
- Daniel Cameron. T. F. Torrance and Ecclesiology (Ph.D., University of Aberdeen). Supervisor: Tom Greggs. Profile.
Graduates: Please update us when the project is published in monograph or article form to be added to the Studies bibliography.
- Completed 2017:
- Alexander J. D. Irving, "T. F. Torrance's Natural Theology Understood in its Intellectual Context: The Synthesis of Rational Structure and Material Content" (Ph.D., University of Oxford). Supervisor: Alister McGrath. Committee members or examiners: Joel Rasmussen, Paul Nimmo.
- Marty Miller Maddox, "Modern Theology at the Wheel: The challenge of ancient Greek skepticism and the drive toward authority with certainty in Christian doctrine" (Ph.D., Graduate Theological Union, Berkeley, California). Supervisor: Ted Peters. Committee members: Gregory Anderson Love; Gerard McCarren. ProQuest document ID: 1930961722.
- Completed 2016:
- Christian J. Triebel, "A Third Culture Kid Theology: Constructing Trinity, Christ, and Believers’ Identity in Liminality in dialogue with Nozomu Miyahira, Emil Brunner, and Thomas F. Torrance" (Ph.D., King's College, London). Supervisor: Alister McGrath. Committee members or examiners: Paul Joyce, Pete Ward, the Revd Canon Vernon White, Michael A. Barnes SJ, and the Very Revd Professor Iain R. Torrance. ProQuest document ID: 1896110369. Online UK link.
- David S. Vanderbilt, "Thomas Forsyth Torrance and Scientific Theology: An Analysis and Assessment of his Project" (Ph.D., Salve Regina University, Newport, Rhode Island). Supervisor: Daniel M. Cowdin. Committee members or examiners: W. James Hersh, Stephen L. Trainor. ProQuest document ID: 1862127072.
- Ruth Helen Bell Morrison, "A study of the special commission on baptism (1953-63) and developments in baptismal doctrine and practice in the church of scotland since 1963" (Ph.D., University of Glasgow). Supervisors: Werner Jeanrond, Charlotte Methuen. ProQuest document ID: 1827521903. Online at Glasgow.
- Completed 2015:
- Christopher Heren, "Scientific or Existential?: A Comparison of Thomas Torrance to Alexei Nesteruk and whether the latter uses what the former refers to as “natural theology’" (Th.M., Luther Seminary, St. Paul, Minnesota). Supervisor: Alan Padgett.
- Completed 2014:
- Robert Lucas Stamps, "'Thy will be done': A dogmatic defense of dyothelitism in light of recent monothelite proposals" (Ph.D., Southern Baptist Theological Seminary). Supervisor: Stephen J. Wellum. Committee members: Michael A. G. Haykin; Paul Helm. Outside reader: Oliver Crisp. ProQuest document ID: 1541534921.
- Geordie Ziegler. "Grace and Participation in the Theology of Thomas F. Torrance." University of Aberdeen. Supervisor: John Webster. Examiners: Phil Ziegler and Tom Noble. Published as #2017-gwz-1.
- Completed 2013:
- Jing Wei, "Theological Anthropology of Thomas F. Torrance: A Critical and Comparative Exploration" (Ph.D., New College, University of Edinburgh). Supervisors: David A. S. Fergusson, Paul Nimmo. Committee members and others acknowledged: Robert Walker and Frances Henderson; Carver Yu, Kang Phee Seng, and David Peng. ProQuest document ID: 1687707909. Online at Edinburgh Research Archive.
- Completed 2009:
- Neal D. Presa, "Here I am, Lord, send me: Ritual analysis for a theology of presbyteral ordination in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)" (Ph.D., Drew University). Supervisor: S. Wesley Ariarajah. ProQuest document ID: 89254887.
- Nathan D. Hieb, "The Liberating Reconciliation of the Cross: Atonement for sin and liberation from suffering in Karl Barth's theologia crucis" (Ph.D., Princeton Theological Seminary). Supervisor: George Hunsinger. ProQuest document ID: 304988018.
- Completed 2008:
- Titus Chung, "The Mediator and the Mediations: Divine Self-disclosure in Thomas F. Torrance" (Ph.D., New College, University of Edinburgh). Supervisors: David A. S. Fergusson, John McDowell. Committee members and others acknowledged: Robert Walker, John Chew. ProQuest document ID: 2064823619. Online at Edinburgh Research Archive.
- Peter I. M. Cass, "Christ Condemned Sin in the Flesh: A study in the Soteriology of T. F. Torrance with particular reference to the relationship between the incarnation and atonement and the ontological and forensic metaphors and their ecumenical significance" (Ph.D., Princeton Theological Seminary). Supervisor: George Hunsinger. ProQuest document ID: 304515351.