The T. F. Torrance Reading Group meets via Zoom every Thursday, at 1 pm Pacific. All times below are US Pacific time (convert to your time using this World Clock). Topics are announced at Facebook. It is organized by Marty Folsom and Myk Habets. Discussions are led by Marty unless noted otherwise. Access the meeting by joining the Facebook group. Or log in with a member account here, and a Zoom link will appear in the left sidebar.
Twitter hashtag: #TFTReadingGroup
Reading Group contact: Use this webform to suggest researchers we might invite (including yourself), to request technical assistance, or to send us general input. Thanks!
- Fall 2020 archived meetings (T&T Clark Handbook of Thomas F. Torrance)
- Spring 2021 archived meetings
- June 3, 2021 (First Thursday, primary source):
- Thomas F. Torrance, "The Mediation of Christ in our Human Response," ch. 4 of The Mediation of Christ; #1983-418d. Audio lecture available: #1981-tft-5d.
- Discussion with Todd Norquist: Video.
- June 10, 2021: Joey Sherrard, to discuss his book:
- Joseph H. Sherrard, T. F. Torrance as Missional Theologian: The Ascended Christ and the Ministry of the Church (Downers Grove, Illinois: IVP Academic, 2021); #2021-JHS-1.
- June 17, 2021 (Third Thursday, published author):
- Adam Nigh, tba.
- June 24, 2021 (Fourth Thursday, work-in-progress):
- July 1, 2021 (First Thursday, primary source):
- July 8, 2021 (Second Thursday, Participatio author):
- Todd Speidell and Chris Kettler. Todd and Chris both were students of T. F. Torrance, J. B. Torrance, Ray S. Anderson, and Geoffrey W. Bromiley. In this discussion, they will share their experiences with these mentors.
- July 15, 2021 (Third Thursday, published author):
- Andrew Torrance, science and theology (tba)
- July 22, 2021 (Fourth Thursday, work-in-progress):
- July 29, 2021 (Fifth Thursday, guest):
- Robert R. Redman, Jr., "Reformulating Reformed Theology."
- Cf. Thomas F. Torrance, "Hugh Ross Mackintosh: Theologian of the Cross," Scottish Bulletin of Evangelical Theology 5 (1987): 160-73; #1987-485.
- July 30 - Aug 1:
- 2nd annual Torrance Virtual Workshop-Retreat
- August 5, 2021 (First Thursday, primary source):
- August 12, 2021 (Second Thursday, Participatio author):
- C.S. Lewis discussion
- August 19, 2021 (Third Thursday, published author):
- Benjamin Myers, “The Stratification of Knowledge in the Thought of T. F. Torrance,” Scottish Journal of Theology 61, no. 1 (2008): 1-15; #2008-BM-1.
- August 26, 2021 (Fourth Thursday, work-in-progress):
- Sept 24-26: Firbush Virtual Retreat
- September 16: Ross Hastings, chs. 4-5 of Echoes of Coinherence: Trinitarian Theology and Science Together (#2017-WRH-1); and excerpts from God and Molecules, a work in progress.
- September 30: Douglas Campbell, chapter tbd from Pauline Dogmatics: The Triumph of God's Love (Eerdmans, 2020), in relation to T. F. Torrance, Space, Time and Resurrection (#1976-331).
- Nov 19: Annual meeting.
- December 23, 2021: Stavan John, "Torrance and Indian Theology on the Ascension."