Thomas F. Torrance, Gospel, Church, and Ministry, ed. Jock Stein (Eugene, Oregon: Pickwick Publications, 2012); #2012-TFT-1
Torrance, Thomas F. Gospel, Church, and Ministry. Thomas F. Torrance Collected Studies, no. 1, ed. Jock Stein. Eugene, Oregon: Pickwick Publications, 2012; #2012-TFT-1
Editor's Introduction: "The original articles have more capitalization than is customary today, but this has been left largely unchanged, except that pronouns for God are now in lower case. TF, like nearly all his generation, used 'man' as a generic term; sometimes it has been simple to change his terminology into inclusive language without loss of meaning, but otherwise it is left as he wrote it."
Included in the Logos Select Works of Thomas F. Torrance collection, cf. #2012-TFT-1-Logos.
The best writing is relevant for every age. C. S. Lewis reminded us that we must always read books from different eras, to avoid our own generation's blind spots. That is why these articles by Professor T. F. Torrance, Scotland's world famous theologian, merit reading. These particular articles focus on the topics of church and ministry in light of the gospel of Christ. They have been selected, first, because they illustrate how "TF" understood his work as an academic theologian to be the calling of an evangelist to the church and to the intellectual life of the day, and, second, because they are on the whole more accessible to the average reader. The Introduction by Jock Stein relates the different chapters to the overall work of "TF," the development of his thought, and to the events of his time. 11 out of the 12 essays presented were previously published elsewhere between 1942 and 1997.
- Editor's Introduction; p. 1-24.
- My Parish Ministry: Alyth, 1940-43; p. 25-73 (#2012-TFT-1a).
- The Church in the World; 74-84 (#2012-TFT-1b).
- The Humanity of Christ in the Sacramental Life of the Church; p. 85-92 (#2012-TFT-1c).
- The Meaning of Order; p. 93-110 (#2012-TFT-1d).
- Consecration and Ordination; p. 111-139 (#2012-TFT-1e).
- Service in Jesus Christ; p. 140-161 (#2012-TFT-1f).
- The Church in the Last Quarter of the Twentieth Century; p. 162-172 (#2012-TFT-1g).
- God, Destiny, and Suffering; p. 173-181 (#2012-TFT-1h).
- Eldership in the Reformed Church; p. 182-200 (#2012-TFT-1i).
- The Ministry of Women; p. 201-219 (#2012-TFT-1j).
- Preaching Christ Today; p. 220-256 (#2012-TFT-1k).
- Legal and Evangelical Priests; p. 257-269 (#2012-TFT-1m).
Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- 101 views