Thomas F. Torrance, Scottish Theology: From John Knox to John McLeod Campbell (Edinburgh: T&T Clark, 1996); #1996-598
Torrance, Thomas F. Scottish Theology: From John Knox to John McLeod Campbell. Edinburgh: T&T Clark, 1996; #1996-598
Preface: "For many years I have collected old Scottish books in the hope that one day I might be able to write a history of Scottish Theology from 1560 to 1850.... This book is not really a history, but comprises brief soundings in the thought of some of the most notable and influential theologians in the Kirk... The chapters that follow are more or less independent of one another, and do not follow in argument from one to another."
Expanded version of (#1996-603). The chapters were not published separately. The occasion arose when Torrance was "asked to prepare a chapter on Scottish theology from the Reformation to the Disruption for the volume being published in commemoration of the 150th anniversary of New College, Edinburgh...." (#1996-603).
1. John Knox and the Scottish Reformation
2. The Older Scottish Tradition
3. The High Calvinists
4. The Westminster Tradition
5. Robert Leighton, Episcopalian Calvinist
6. The Presbyterian Tradition
7. Eighteenth-century Presbyterianism
8. Early Nineteenth-century Theology
9. John McLeod Campbell
- PTS copy.
- OU copy donated by James B. Walker.